In our thematic unit on the inventions of the Ancient Maya, we have discussed the significance and importance of the Maya glyphic writing system. We have also talked about how they recorded and valued their own history.
What makes the Maya so fascinating to study is that we are still learning about their past. Click on the link below and watch a video about a recent archaeological discovery revealed today, July 21st! Answer the questions below (via email) and be prepared to discuss them in tomorrow's class.
1. How old are the sculptures?
2. What do the glyphs describe?
3. What protected the sculptures?
4. Why would the Mayans protect the sculpture?
5. The sculpture mentions a Maya city, or metropolis. Why is this city important?
6. Connect to your life: How do people record important events or stories today?
If you have any questions or problems with the assignment, please email me!